The name of the organization will be TEXAS STATE UNIVERSITY STAFF COUNCIL.
II. MISSION AND GOALS
A. Mission Statement.
The mission of the Texas State University Staff Council, hereafter referred to as “Staff Council” or “Council,” shall be to promote and enhance the status of university staff, ensure the effective contribution of staff expertise toward university goals, and act as the liaison between the university president and staff. The Council shall represent the collective body of the staff and shall report directly to the university president.
B. 2017-2023 Goals
Goal 1. Staff Council will provide effective, timely, and inclusive communications to staff and staff organizations.
Goal 2. Staff Council will actively support programs that improve staff recognition and retention.
Goal 3. Staff Council will be the voice for staff and enhance collaboration with administrators.
Goal 4. Staff Council will contribute to and make recommendations regarding university planning and policy decisions that impact staff.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND OBJECTIVES
A. The Staff Council shall develop, maintain and implement standard operating procedures.
B. The Staff Council shall develop and maintain communication between itself and:
- staff employees,
- Faculty Senate,
- Associated Student Government,
- the university administration, and
- the university president.
C. The Staff Council shall appoint committees as necessary to accomplish its work.
D. The Staff Council may, when appropriate, nominate Council members to serve on other councils and committees.
E. The Staff Council shall prepare and submit proposals and position papers to the university president on staff concerns as determined by a majority of the Staff Council.
F. The Staff Council shall prepare and submit reports as requested by the university president.
G. The Staff Council shall prepare and submit an annual summary of all activities and reports to the university president and the university staff by August 31 of each year.
H. The Staff Council shall disseminate regular Staff Council meeting minutes to the President's Cabinet and all university staff.
I. The Staff Council shall insure that its membership reflects appropriate and diverse EEO categories.
J. The Staff Council shall monitor, review, and make recommendations on administrative actions that affect staff employees.
K. The Staff Council shall monitor, review and make recommendations on the University Policy and Procedure Statements (UPPS’s) that are in review by the university. The Staff Council Bylaws/UPPS Committee shall serve as the official reviewer of all UPPS’s. Recommendations will be presented to the Staff Council chair, which will act as final reviewer and submit the recommendations.
- Membership is limited to individuals employed at Texas State University as regular full-time staff employees for the 12 months immediately preceding the date they would take office.
- Except for associate and assistant directors, the president, vice presidents, associate and assistant vice presidents, deans, department chairs, directors, and others who are members of the Officials and Administrators EEO job category are not eligible to serve on Staff Council.
B. Staff Council Composition
1. Staff Council shall consist of 25 to 28 elected positions based on proportional representation in the following EEO job categories:
- associate or assistant director, from the officials and administrators category;
- skilled worker; and
2. Proportional representation.
- Proportional representation in each EEO job category shall be determined by the Elections Committee based on staff employment data retrieved on May 1st each year.
- When determining proportional representation, each EEO job category shall have a minimum of two positions.
- If a member’s job classification changes during his/her term of office, he/she will serve the constituency who elected him/her until his/her term expires.
C. Terms of Office
1. Representatives shall serve three-year terms. Terms of office shall begin on September 1.
2. No member shall serve more than two consecutive terms, or six consecutive years. After a one-year absence, a member may be re-elected or fill a vacancy as an alternate.
3. The three-year term for an alternate filling a vacancy shall begin on
- September 1 prior to their appointment, if appointed before March 1, or
- September 1 following their appointment, if appointed on or after March 1.
D. Member Resignation and Removal.
- A member shall notify the Chair and Vice Chair via email of their intention to resign from Staff Council and include the effective date of their resignation.
- The Chair shall notify all Staff Council members of the resignation within one business day of its receipt.
a. Any member of Staff Council may request the removal of a member due to
- lack of attendance;
- lack of engagement in Staff Council activities, including committee work;
- unprofessional behavior; or
- other behavior alleged to be detrimental to Staff Council.
b. The request shall be submitted to the Chair via email and shall include a detailed description of the reason(s) the member should be removed.
c. The chair shall speak with the submitting member and investigate as necessary to confirm the alleged behavior(s). If the alleged behavior(s) is not confirmed, the chair shall notify the submitting member of his/her findings and dismiss the request.
d. If the alleged behavior(s) is confirmed, the Chair shall discuss the findings with the member subject to removal and offer him/her the opportunity to resign.
e. If the member subject to removal chooses not to resign, the Chair shall, without identifying the submitting member, notify all Staff Council members of the removal request within one business day and place the removal on the next Staff Council meeting agenda as an emergency item, pursuant to Article V.B.
f. After discussion, a vote shall be taken on the member’s removal. If two-thirds of the members present and voting vote to remove the member, s/he shall immediately vacate their position.
E. Filling Staff Council Membership Vacancies
1. Vacant Staff Council positions shall be filled by alternates – staff who were nominated but not elected at the most recent general or special election – in descending order of the highest number of votes received. Pursuant to Article VI., alternates shall be identified when election results are publicized.
2. Members filling vacant positions shall serve terms pursuant to Section C.3. of this Article.
3. If a vacancy cannot be filled by an alternate,
- if the vacancy occurred prior to March 1, the chair shall call a special election as soon as practical to fill the position; or
- if the vacancy occurred on or after March 1, the position shall remain vacant until filled at the next general election.
Officers shall be elected from the Staff Council membership and consist of the chair, vice chair, secretary, treasurer, parliamentarian, member-at-large for logistics, and member-at-large for events.
Officers shall serve two-year terms beginning at the September meeting and ending after the September Executive Committee meeting, held pursuant to Section C.1. of this Article and according to the following staggered two-year terms:
- Chair, Secretary, Parliamentarian, and Member-at-Large for Logistics are elected at the September meeting in even-numbered years.
- Vice-Chair, Treasurer, and Member-at-Large for Events are elected at the September meeting in odd-numbered years.
- Transition to staggered terms:
- 2018-2019 chair-elect shall serve as chair for 2019-2020. If the chair-elect does not wish to serve as chair, the position shall be filled at the September 2019 meeting and serve a one-year term.
- Members elected in September 2019 to serve as Secretary, Parliamentarian, and Member-at-Large for Logistics shall serve a one-year term. Members elected to these offices in September 2020 and each ensuing even-numbered year shall serve two-year terms.
- Members elected in September 2019 and ensuing odd-numbered years to serve as Vice-Chair, Treasurer, and Member-at-Large for Events shall serve a two-year term.
- This subsection shall expire and be removed from the bylaws no later than the second Monday of January 2020.
a. Officer regular elections shall be conducted at each year’s September Staff Council meeting. Elections to fill vacancies shall be determined pursuant to Section 4 of this Article. All officer elections shall be conducted pursuant to procedures developed under Article VI.
b. Elected officers shall represent at least two (2) of the EEO job categories listed in Article IV.B.
a. The council chair shall preside at meetings of Staff Council, carry out other duties as specified in the Staff Council Bylaws and the Staff Council Operating Procedures, and communicate Staff Council concerns to the university president through the special assistant to the president.
b. The chair-elect shall assume the responsibility of the chair when the chair is absent or otherwise unable to perform his/her duties, assist the chair as required, and assume the duties of the chair the following year.
c. The secretary shall maintain accurate records of attendance, prepare the agendas as established by the executive council, keep and disseminate minutes of all business conducted by the Staff Council, coordinate and prepare required reports and correspondence for the Staff Council, and announce meeting times.
d. The Treasurer shall keep track of the financial transactions of all Staff Council accounts. The Treasurer shall maintain all Staff Council interdepartmental transfer, E-NPO, Bookstore card, and P-card records. The Treasurer shall maintain a dual signature role for all Staff Council transactions with the Chair and or Chair-Elect. The Treasurer shall serve a one-year term in consistency with all other elected officers but is strongly encouraged to commit to serving two consecutive one-year terms. This back-to-back service will allow for continuity of record keeping. The Treasurer has the option to serve in a one-year voluntary Ex-Officio role for the purposes of training the new first-year Treasurer. Preference and consideration will be given to members in an accounting or administrative position at Texas State.
e. At-Large members will serve and provide general consultation and support to the executive council. At-Large members will also serve as liaison to all internal Staff Council committees.
f. The parliamentarian serves on the executive council and provides guidance on the appropriate conduct of meetings according to the Staff Council Bylaws and Robert’s Rules of Order.
g. The immediate past chair may attend council and executive council meetings and shall provide advice, consultation, and support to executive council leadership and membership.
4. Officer Resignation and Removal. The processes specified in Article IV, Section D for member resignation and removal shall apply to officers, except that if a member seeks removal of the chair, the vice chair shall perform the duties assigned to the chair.
5. Filling Officer Vacancies
a. If after his/her first year of the two-year officer term an officer is subject to re-election to Staff Council and is not re-elected or has served the limit of six years on Staff Council, his/her term as a member and officer shall end as provided in this Section. The office shall be filled during elections at the September meeting, and the member elected shall serve the remainder of the vacated term.
b. An election to fill the vacated term of an officer cannot be held earlier than 10 business days after the notification or effective date, whichever is the latest.
c. If a current officer is elected to fill a vacant position, she/he must resign their current office and perform the duties of both positions until the resigned office is filled at the next Staff Council meeting.
1. The Staff Council shall meet once a month at a time and place designated by the Staff Council. Notices of meetings shall be published in the Staff Council minutes, the Staff Council website (http://www.staffcouncil.txstate.edu/), email distribution to all staff by the special assistant of the president, as well as by memo to council members.
2. Special meetings may be called by the university president, the council chair, or at the request of at least one-third of the members provided notification has been sent to all members two working days prior to the meeting.
3. Voting on motions and issues brought before the Staff Council shall be by voice, show of hands, or email/online methods. A vote may be by secret ballot or roll call if requested by a voting member. Voting records, if collected, will be made available except in the case of secret ballot votes. All votes will be decided by a simple majority of a quorum, with the exception of censuring or removing members or amendments to bylaws.
4. A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of the Staff Council membership. Without a quorum, members present may determine actions and submit results for ratification at the next regular meeting.
5. Meetings shall be open to all interested parties per UPPS 01.04.04 Open Meetings of University Committees to Members of the Press and Public.
6. Staff Council representatives are expected to attend regularly scheduled meetings. Any member who exceeds two (2) unexcused absences will default his/her position and must submit excuses to President and Secretary within 48 hours of the scheduled meeting. If the position is defaulted, then that member is not permitted to serve on Staff Council for the following year.
7. Staff Council will write its own standard operating procedures to guide the conduct of meetings.
8. Elected Staff Council members shall, as part of their university duties, be allowed to attend council and subcommittee meetings. University employees who are not Staff Council members shall, as part of their university duties, be allowed to attend Staff Council meetings if they are on the agenda to address the Staff Council.
9. Statements made during meetings of the Staff Council shall be privileged communication. Members and guests shall not be subject to retaliation or disciplinary action as a result of the expression of their views at Staff Council meetings.
1. Executive Council: The executive council shall consist of the officers as defined in article V, section A of the Staff Council Operating Procedures.
- The executive council shall assist the chair in setting Staff Council meeting agendas and identifying issues to be addressed by Staff Council. The executive council shall assist in implementing the actions of the Staff Council.
- By writ of Robert’s Rules of Order: Art. IX. Committees and Boards, Section 50, Boards of Managers, etc. and Executive Committees. The executive council shall have the power of Staff Council between meetings of Staff Council.
- The executive council, in its official capacity, shall not take a public stand or voice an opinion on an issue without approval by a majority vote of the Staff Council.
- Meetings: The executive council shall meet monthly at a time and place designated by the council chair.
2. Standing committees are described in the standard operating procedures. Membership of these committees is open to any member of Staff Council. Each committee chair shall be responsible for providing a record of all activities for the year to be admitted to the Staff Council archives.
3. Special Interest Committees: Appointment by the Staff Council to Special Interest Committees is open to any eligible staff member of the university as defined in Article IV, Section A.
A. Staff Council members and alternates are only filled by scheduled elections. Elections are conducted through online secret ballot. They are carried out by the election committee of Staff Council according to standing operating procedures approved by Staff Council.
B. There are four types of elections for members:
1. Regular election for vacant Staff Council positions for the next service year will be held during May (nominations) and June (voting).
2. In the event of vacancies on Staff Council, the executive council can call a special election at the recommendation of the election committee.
3. Runoff elections will be held in the event of a tie.
4. In the event of a resignation or removal of an elected officer, an election will be held at the next regular Staff Council meeting.
C. Eligible staff employees may nominate themselves for Staff Council. Their self-nomination shall attest to their willingness and ability to serve as a Staff Council member or alternate.
D. If there are fewer eligible, self-nominated candidates than available positions per EEO category, those positions will remain vacant until filled at the next election.
VII. AMENDMENT OF BYLAWS
A. Proposal of Amendments
1. The bylaws will be reviewed by Staff Council every year.
2. Any member desiring to amend the bylaws shall submit the proposed amendment(s) in writing to the Staff Council chair.
3. The executive council shall review the proposed amendment(s) and recommend course of action by Staff Council at its next regular meeting.
4. The secretary shall send a copy of each amendment to the entire membership prior to the next regularly scheduled meeting. Voting will take place at the next month's regularly scheduled meeting. Exceptions may be made to the timeline of the proposed amendment(s) decision with the majority agreement of the Staff Council.
5. Robert’s Rules of Order shall form the guidelines for the adoption of any amendments to the by-laws.
B. Adoption of Amendments
- Adoption of the proposed amendment(s) shall require a two-thirds vote of the members present and voting at general meeting provided notice has been given previous month; or a two-thirds vote of the Staff Council member membership if the voting is done online.
- Any amendments to the bylaws recommended by the Council shall be submitted to the university president for approval.
VIII. ROBERT’S RULES OF ORDER
The rules of parliamentary practice comprised in the current edition of Robert’s Rules of Order Newly Revised, will govern all Staff Council proceedings subject to such special rules as have been or may be adopted or unless otherwise specified by these bylaws.
IX. OPERATING BUDGET
The university shall establish an operating budget sufficient to meet the needs of the Staff Council. The chair of the Staff Council will be the account manager.